Sunday, March 25, 2012

We are fearfully and wonderfully made

Well hello!

If my cell phone is correct (and it usually is) it is already March 25. School started on August 1 and ends on June 1. I have been in class for 237 days and have 68 more to go. This means that I am 77.7% done with M1 year! I've said it before, but feel the need to say it again: time flies.

I've moved onto uncharted intellectual territory: the central nervous system. In my life I've never taken a course on how the nervous system works, so everything I've been learning has been new and exciting. To summarize, the CNS is nothing else than a giant conduit for information in the body, and the amount of information that is sensed, transported, integrated, and stored is nothing less than astounding. Little molecules (ions) flowing into channels (voltage gated sodium channels) travel on highly specific paths (tracts) to a certain area of the brain (nucleus) where the information is then registered, and if necessary, an action is performed.

The bulk of the work for CNS has been learning about tracts: where they originate, what they carry, the path that they travel through the body, and where they terminate in the brain. By my count we've learned more than 15 of these All of these connections are what make seeing this computer screen possible, reading and interpreting what's written, breathing, and everything else that we do.

Another more challenging part of the sequence has been neuroanatomy. Anatomically there is more going on above the neck than there is below, and all of this material is condensed into a 3 week period. Here's a picture of some of the nerves of the face:


Someone else puts it better: we are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Along with the advent of spring better weather has arrived. It's been nice to see everything come to life; on my walk home there are flowering trees in bloom. Studying, however, has become more difficult because it's tempting to go and take a walk rather than memorize the tracts of the neural system. I solve this problem by sitting in a chair that does not face a window: out of sight and most of the time, out of mind.

On an aside, I'm going to see the Hunger Games movie this afternoon with people from my community group at my church. I'm excited!

Cheers,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment